Friday, March 2, 2012

My First Building Project (courtesy of Ana White) and First Post!




For a couple of years, I had been looking for desks for my kids. They needed to be sturdy with enough space for a computer, books and other junk (see my son's desk with all his junk on it), but the ones I liked was either too expensive or way too cheap. So one day I was searching the internet for pottery barn knockoffs to create some diy decorations for my house, and I came upon Ana White's website. I was instantly hooked! All of the women (there were men too, but I was more impressed with my fellow females) on this site was building all kinds of furniture without the help of men...and they were beautiful! So, me being the do it yourself kind of person, I didn't start with a simple project, I always start big. Go big or go home, right? 

The first one went really well (see above two pictures), so I built one for each of my daughters (below). Excuse the carpet, I didn't even clean up before I took these pictures.




After I got over my fear of going to Home Depot and asking for help with something I've never done before in my life, I became hooked and started building and building and building. Now, when I look at furniture in furniture stores, I turn everything upside down to see how it's made and what type of wood and construction it has. You know, 'cause now I'm an expert novice furniture builder! I know one thing...if I can do it,  anyone can do it! 

You can check out Ana and get lots of plans and ideas from her website at www.ana-white.com.

1 comment: